The test of Abraham

The most amazing stories

The test of Abraham

Postby Cyrus1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:21 pm

The test of Abraham is an extraordinary subject and is given a wide range of evaluations and explanations. The traditional view holds that the test was about Abraham’s readiness to serve God whatever he is asked to do even in such a horrible way. I dare to say no to this.

Look to this passage:
5 He said to his servants, "Stay here with the donkey while I and the boy go over there. We will worship and then we will come back to you." (Gen 22:5, New International Version).

He clearly said that in plural: WE will come back, not I will come back.

Take attention to the following passages:
7 Isaac spoke up and said to his father Abraham, "Father?" "Yes, my son?" Abraham replied. "The fire and wood are here," Isaac said, "but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?" 8 Abraham answered, "God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son." And the two of them went on together. (Gen 22:7-8, New International Version).

Abraham already knew back then that God will provide a lamb for a burnt offering; he was not so stupid yet to believe that God really wants him to burn his son.

13 Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 So Abraham called that place The LORD Will Provide. And to this day it is said, "On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided." (Gen 22:13-14, New International Version)

Now, finally, how can traditionalists be so crazy? It is all perfectly clear that the only question in this story is the whereabouts of the Lamb !!! As soon as Abraham saw it in a thicket he was pleased to know that his faith of good God was correct. Abraham didn’t call the place “God has mercy on kids”, no, instead all his thoughts lingered on the lamb and so he said: ”On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided”.

However not everything went smooth. When Abraham got on the mountain he failed to see the ram, which was waiting there in a thicket. Abraham was not careful enough. He should have blamed himself for this or search more diligently, but instead he got angry at the things and got out of control. He said to himself: “I really knew God, I am his only friend after all, and I was sure that I find lamb and now this...” So he desperately reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. Somebody had to stop this madness and to solve the misunderstanding. So the angel stood out and stopped him.

Even though Abraham acted in a careless way he got praised by God. Why? Because God knew inside thoughts of Abraham that Abraham would never accept as a fact that God could be blood thirsty murderous monster like the vast group of traditionalists who are holding this view that God is a blood sucker beast. So, any of you who hold that God was asking for the burnt offering of Isaac think twice. Or shame on you! Repent evildoers… just joking … but please do not defame good name of God, will you?

Now look to the problem from the viewpoint of God.

Lo! God is wise and all-knowing :)

Therefore God is never curious because he knows everything already. He is in no need to test Abraham since He already knows how Abraham will react. What’s the point then? God knows that Abraham has true faith, but God has to make Abraham to get aware about this because that man does not know about how strong his faith is. See, God knows but Abraham doesn’t know. So let’s do the test for the sake of Abraham. God knew beforehand how the test will end and brought to the place a ram.

Remember Abraham knew what is God like, so he also knew the happy end beforehand. But he didn’t foresee his own frustration not seeing a lamb and this made him to get into a real test. See, God knew better You cannot escape test even if you are true believer, but once you do it you feel better because you know for sure that you have faith.

Having said that, peace to everybody :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyrus1

Re: The test of Abraham

Postby Cyrus1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:22 pm

I am not whitewashing the story. It’s all based on passages of Bible and common sense, didn’t you see? I don't see there an abuse of child. Both parties knew the child will not be harmed and there is no indication that Isaac felt bad. This is taken as proof from Bible.

Logic says that good God cannot do anything painful unless people beg him to do it. Abraham didn’t wish to lose his son so there was no way of getting his son killed. The whole story is just a piece of well directed play if not just a fictional story to tell a lesson what a human being can expect in this life and how to cope with it. Believe me, we get in this test almost every day. And it is almost always like this that we are not careful enough to see that “ram” and so we are getting into real mess.

Instead we should trust good God more. Because good God would never ask to do anything we don’t want to do. But if he still asks for it that means it’s a test how strong we believe in the aforementioned maxim “God would never ask to do anything we don’t want to do”. Plain and simple :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyrus1

Return to Bible mysteries