The Tower of Babel

The most amazing stories

The Tower of Babel

Postby Cyrus1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:25 pm

We are not meant to unite for our own benefit. God knows better what is good for us, so he destroyed the Tower of Babel. Please read the following excerpt from Gen 11:1-7, Bible (New International Version):

1 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As men moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar and settled there. 3 They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth." 5 But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. 6 The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
I like such stories, because it shows complicated matters, which means it is real, not a fairy tale.

Now, everybody who does have eyes and is capable to read cannot but notice that our loving God acts as a jealous villain. Look, people were united, they worked for a common goal and presumably they were at peace with each other. This is exactly what you Holdy propose, that people spoke one “language”, i.e. had a common religion. I would instantly agree with you, but I see that such things are not welcomed in the eyes of God. Why should we care what does God like? Because we believe that God loves us. So it doesn’t matter what actions does He take – destroy or heal, one thing is certain; it is for the benefit of the mankind to be scattered.

Remember God doesn’t need anything from us because He is God already. What could we offer Him? That means any threats He sees is a threat to us, not Him. Let’s take an insight to the reasoning of God. What is wrong with Tower of Babel? God "fears" or, to say precisely, we should fear that in case of one religion nothing we plan to do will be impossible for us anymore. For example fight against genetic modification of plants, animals or care of homeless… What's wrong with it?
Cyrus1

Return to Bible mysteries